Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about climbing shoes

SOLVED
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

I'm in the market for my first pair of rock climbing shoes. I am new to climbing so they will be used in an indoor gym for now. Eventually I would like to try some easy routes in the Gunks in NY. 

1) What is better laces or velcro?
2) Socks or no socks? I've been renting, so I wear socks, but it seems it would be more comfortable without. 

Looking for your answers,

Rusmore

Power User

Re: Few questions about climbing shoes

1) What is better laces or velcro?
I prefer laces, more adjustment options.

2) Socks or no socks? I've been renting, so I wear socks, but it seems it would be more comfortable without.
Depends on the situation and shoe. The only time I wear socks is when I am climbing in cold weather or climbing a route that is mostly hand/fist/off width. The socks can save your skin a bit on your ankles. You will find synthetic do not stretch much, thus socks can jam your toes. Wearing socks with a leather pair can stretch them further than you want, quicker. If warm weather climbing the majority of the time, best to fit a shoe without socks...you will have more sensitivity on smears, etc. 

Locelso

Do
A2

Re: Few questions about climbing shoes

Hi, 

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. I would like to add that shoes come in both slips lasted and board lasted versions. For gym and sports climbing I prefer slip lasted shoes (with velcro closures, easy on and off between routes). Slip lasted shoes have a softer sole and tend to climb steep, footwork intensive type routes better. 

For trad, mulitpitch, crack, and alpine rock routes I prefer board lasted shoes (in lace ups). The board makes a stiffer shoe and is more supportive in cracks and on long routes